Corrective Exercises with Our Sioux City Physical Therapy Team
Physical therapy is an important branch of rehabilitative medicine focusing on functional mobility to facilitate healing from a wide variety of acute and chronic conditions. Our Sioux City wellness team is happy to prescribe your own home exercise program in addition to other non-invasive services so you can restore and reclaim your health.
What Are Corrective Exercises?
Think of corrective exercises as medicine: the right kind and right dose can help you get better. But instead of medication in pill form (which often come with a nasty list of side effects), corrective exercises naturally and non-invasively take advantage of your body's ability to self-heal.
What's more, corrective exercises can alleviate symptoms and address the underlying causes of dysfunction—such as weakness, impaired mobility, and impaired motor control—therefore conferring both short-term and long-term benefits.
Different conditions, different stages of recovery and even different people tend to require different corrective exercises in order to meet the specific goals of treatment. Therapeutic exercise (that is, corrective exercises explicitly prescribed by a licensed physical therapist) can be designed to facilitate:
- Tissue healing and anti-inflammation: generally, these will done in higher repetitions with little to no added resistance
- Increased endurance: exercises to improve core stabilization, for example, may include a moderate number of repetitions as well as isometric
- Increased strength: typically performed in the later stages of recovery, our therapists gradually add resistance and decrease the number of repetitions to maximize power and reverse muscle atrophy (weakening)
- Increase range of motion: passive and dynamic stretches as well as other mobility techniques to improve the movement and mechanics of connective tissues
- Increase motor control: important for recovery from conditions like stroke and ACL/MCL ruptures, these exercises enhance a person's proprioception, agility, coordination, muscle fiber recruitment, and general body awareness
Common Physical Therapy Exercises Prescribed by our Sioux City Physical Therapist Team
Physical therapy exercises are used every day in our Sioux City clinic to help people recover from a wide range of health issues, everything from muscle strains to osteoarthritis to fibromyalgia. Common ones we prescribe include:
- Core stabilization exercises: bird dog, dead bug, supine bridges, pelvic tilts
- Rotator cuff exercises: T's, I's, and Y's
- Closed chain kinetic exercises: sit to stands, squats, single leg stands, bosu ball exercises
These corrective exercises are always designed, implemented, and modified with the individual patient in mind. It's our job to ensure our patients understand why and how to do them effectively.
Dealing with an Injury? Let Our Chiropractic & Physical Therapy Team Help You Recover Naturally
For help in Sioux City, IA following an injury, contact Multicare Health Clinic today at (712) 276-4325.